It seems to me that March is always a hectic time in our home. Especially around the girl’s birthdays. Mila especially. On her first birthday we had just bought our home. Her second birthday I had just gotten home from Australia but managed to pull off her party. Her third birthday I had just gotten home from the hospital with her baby sister Priya (born 4 days before her birthday) also during covid. And this year, both Mario and I were in the middle of huge career transitions, in fact it was my first day of work at my new job that week.
So of course Mila’s birthday is during a time where I feel like I never do enough. I have to remind myself that Mila doesn’t care about the glitz and the glam, she cares about time. TIME with me and her family. This year I didn’t think we’d have a big birthday especially IN our home due to covid. So how did I plan her birthday in less than five days?
The Disney movie Raya and the Last Dragon came out and I thought, ‘Mila has never been to the movies!’ I quickly realized that we could rent out a movie theatre for a private screening. And that my friends is a #momwin.
- Location: Movie Theatre – private screening. We were able to add a discounted kids box that came with popcorn, candy and a drink for all of the kids.
- Guest List: Up to 20 people could attend. We invited Mila’s cousins, friends and their parents. Before we confirmed the theatre we text our guests to gage interest.
- 90% of the adults that came were vaccinated. People had the choice to sit together or to space out which was great. There were about 55 seats in the theatre total.
- Dessert: Cake cutting was not permitted at the theatre so we did individual cupcakes to go for each guest. We used these individual cupcake holders: https://amzn.to/3sAw1Rr
- We also asked for ‘mermaid colors’ which matched Raya’s theme perfectly.
- Favors: Amazon of course
- Invitation: Designed by me!
- Safety: Disinfectant spray and wipes were available for all guests. I personally got to the theatre early to do my own disinfecting for peace of mind. https://amzn.to/3m0HeIy
From Sunday to Sunday, Mila’s birthday was planned thanks to the stars aligning and giving me grace (and to amazon!)
I could not tell you in words HOW excited our guests were. For many it was the first time they had been to a theatre in over a year. For some of our guests it was the first time they had seen US in over a year! It was also relieving for a few of Mila’s little human friends as it was their first time at the theatre too. So it was not mortifying when Mila got antsy and needed to get up or talk.
My quick view points on the movie itself. I am so happy that there is finally some representation in Disney with princesses that look like my children. Raya is Disney’s first Southeast Asian princess. So that was really exciting for my family. Princess Raya took us on an adventure filled with fantasy but also familiarity. It was emotional and comedic and my favorite part was that it was about family. As a parent of three girls, I personally enjoy these warrior badass princesses.
Also, Noi (the baby) reminded me of Priya so much.
All in all this crazy busy mama managed to pull off a successful birthday celebration during a pandemic for my baby girl!
If you are local and would like links to the movie theatre or cupcake information, let me know!